organised by Professor JosÚ M. Goicolea
Technical University of Madrid, Spain,
Professor Rui A.B. Calšada
University of Porto, Portugal
and Professor Raid Karoumi
Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden
The dynamic effects from the traffic loads in railway bridges are of high relevance both for the safety and functionality of bridges. These become especially significant with the new high-speed railway lines, which often require dynamic analysis for the design of the bridge. Often it is the service limit states, such as the maximum acceleration at the bridge deck, which prove to be critical for the design. In recent years a substantial amount of research and development work has been done, improving the understanding of the basic dynamic effects, the mathematical and computer models including coupling of vehicle, bridge and track, the experimental measurements, and the design measures and envelopes in order not to exceed performance requirements. Furthermore, new types of HS trains and viaducts have been introduced and need to be considered.
This session aims at bringing together researchers and experts reporting on the current state of railway research and development related to dynamics of railway bridges. The discussion should promote the interaction and collaboration among universities, research centers, railway operators, infrastructure managers and industry in order to identify problems, propose solutions and indicate directions of future research.
The Session should bring together Mechanical and Civil Engineering experts and will cover, but not be limited to, the following topics:
- Dynamic response of viaducts due to traffic actions
- Coupled vehicle-structure models
- Special problems and solutions for short span bridges
- Influence of the track structure on the response of the bridge
- Dynamic effects of new types of trains (HS EMU, etc)
- Lateral dynamic effects, wind and earthquake actions
- Effects of the change of track stiffness and transition zones
- Experimental techniques and measurements, system identification and model updating
- Consideration of dynamic effects in design and construction of singular HS railway viaducts
- Development of railway code requirements (Eurocodes, TSI, others)
For specific questions regarding the scope of this session please contact the organisers:
- Professor JosÚ M. Goicolea
Technical University of Madrid
(jose.goicolea AT upm.es)
- Professor Rui A.B. Calšada
Faculty of Engineering of the University of Porto
(ruiabc AT fe.up.pt)
- Professor Raid Karoumi
Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
(raid.karoumi AT byv.kth.se)
Please note that papers that are found to fall outside the scope of this session may be considered for other sessions.
To submit abstracts for this special session, please follow the normal abstract submission procedure
but please select "RW2014-S11" when asked "Is this paper part of a special session?"